- Text Size +

Summary: What if life wasn’t over after death? For Bella it seemed that her life was just beginning, it’s not what she had planned, but she’ll make it perfect. With a lot of death and forbidden love, what’s not to love about this new life? What’s a girl to do when death has handed her lemons? Make lemonade of course. Just call me death… and Death Loves Jimmy Choo’s!

Just Call Me Death
Chapter 1

Rinsing the remaining blood from the cold, hard, steel table. I watched as the water mixed with bright red blood turning it pink and continued its path down the drain, located underneath the table.

I just finished my residence and have just replaced the last medical examiner. Who knew that this was the way my life was going to go? I was planning to become a big time Cardiovascular heart surgeon in big city of Dallas, Texas. Somehow, I died in a car accident three weeks ago, good thing I finished my residence before I died.
Now, that my dreams are down, six feet to be exact. The last medical examiner, happen to working (filling) in the Dallas County Coroner’s office, when I was brought in. I don’t what he saw in me, but all he did was run his hand down my arm bring out my soul. I remember seeing the light, and hearing the beautiful voices, the bright colors. I turned back to him when I heard him speaking, he introduced himself as Dr. Gibbons. He explained why, I was there and that I was replacing him as the Grim Reaper, better known as Death in his sector. He clarified in great detailed of the rules and expectations of being Death.

So now I’m in this little bitty, hole in the wall town. Playing as the Medical Examiner, with the hunger for death. Unless, you get those ones that aren’t ready to cross over or won’t cross over. So they decide to talk to you until you’ve got a splitting migraine.

Turning off the water and bringing out the cleaner and blue rags to sanitize the table for my next autopsy. Looking down and checking my watch I noticed that it was getting pretty late. So I hurried and cleaned and wiped my table dried.

Flinging the powdered, latex gloves into trash bin as I walked to my office. Taking off my white lab coat, unpinned my identification badge and fastening it to my black scrub top. Reaching over the mountain of autopsy reports that needed to be signed off on. Checking my watch once again, it was eleven forty-five pm. Deciding to sit down and sign off the reports for the next fifteen minutes, would help me out so much come tomorrow. Might even give me time to stop off and get some Starbucks in the morning, or even go out for lunch tomorrow.

I didn’t get out much from the dark, cold basement that they have put me. I was pale and colorless as the next dead person, but I could just pass of my dullness to being in this basement all the time.

Most of my clients are older people, so there’s not much to sign off on. Natural causes are what most have died from, some pneumonia, or cardiac arrest. Occasionally, I get a challenging case. When I do, I get to work with the local Doctors and Police department. I like helping them solve the mysteries and cases.

Looking out over my desk, at the quietness of the morgue, with hope that it will stay quiet tonight. Yawning, and stretching my arms above my head, then twisting my back in hope that it will pop. Checking my watch for the time once again, I’m shocked to see it’s almost three am. The pile of reports had dwindled quite a bit from the monstrous pile it was.
Reaching over to turn off my computer and the small desk lamp, that had illuminated the small office with warm light. I grabbed my bag and small jacket shrugging it on as I walked into the autopsy room. I glanced through the room to make sure everything was prepared for tomorrow, everything looked to be in ordered.

Being surrounded by dead people would scared most people, but not when your Death. Turning out the fluorescent lights and walking down the corridor to the metal double doors, swiping my badge, clocking out and watching the door swing open. Alice that usually works the front desk, was long gone. She’s such a sweet, and it’s was hard not to love her. She’s very professional and soft spoken. I try not to make friends, or go out with anyone because they’ll eventually die and Death doesn’t get to make any exceptions.

Making my way down the road to the old bank that has been converted to a nice two-bedroom home. Deport is a small town in North-Eastern part of Texas, fairly close to the Red-River. It was small, quiet town with a population of about eight hundred people, and at least five hundred of those people were sixty or older.
It was a brisk night walking the block to my house, I pulled my hood up and my jacket closer to me as sped my pace up. Being Death didn’t make me scared as it would most people walking home at three am in the dark. I’m going to take a hot bubble bath when I got in, and drink me a glass of red wine as I soak in the tub. I could almost feel the warm water on my skin, the more I thought about it. Rubbing my arms up and down my arms to create some friction.

“A little late for midnight stroll and a little early for your morning jog?” I jumped, bring my hand to my mouth to stop the squeal that almost made its way out. I hadn’t heard the car pull up beside me.
Turning to the well-known voice, of Edward Masen, one of the sheriff’s department officers. Giving him a sly smile behind my hand, I just shook my head at him. I knew he liked me, and I liked him. I just couldn’t bring myself to love him or tell him that he liked a dead girl.

Walking over to his car, leaning down to look into his beautiful green eyes. “I just got done with a pile of reports, didn’t mean to stay so long tonight. But as usual time always gets away from me.” I explained, as I stuffed my hands into my jacket pocket to keep them warm until I could get home to that lovely hot bubble bath.

“I was just making sure that there was a felony in progress.” He said as he laughing at his little joke. “Also you realize that only druggies, and no good doers are out this late, I would hate for something to happen to you. Because you were to stubborn to call and ask for a ride when you work late.” Taking on a more serious tone.
I reached for the handle and climbed into the front seat. He rolled up the window as soon as he seen I was getting into the car. Blasting the warm air into my face, warming my nose and cheeks instantly.

“I understand what you’re saying. I just don’t what to disturb anyone, also I work a block and half from home. Who’s going to hurt me at three am? Is an old lady going to come out from the shadows and beat me with her over large hand bag?” I asked now laughing at my own joke. Making him crack a smile. I wish I could tell someone something, or at least that they should be worried about what’s in the shadows or even sitting beside them at the moment. Because I’m the scariest thing out there.

We didn’t say anything else as he drove me around the corner to my house. He pulled in front of my house, letting his car idle. I took a deep breath and sighed as I gathered my items pulling them into my lap. I heard him sighing a couple times, I could tell that he wanted to ask or at least say something. I wish he would come on with it, that hot bath and glass of red wine was calling my name.

He sighed one more time. “What?” I questioned, feeling a migraine coming on. I was tired and ready for bed.

“Would you like to go out for dinner tomorrow night?” He requested, with hope filled eyes. I didn’t want to hurt him, but dinner out did sound good. “Just as friends and nothing more.” He quickly added.
I sighed and was getting ready to turn him down. Then figured what the hell, why not. What’s dinner as friends going to hurt.

“Sure, just as friends, right?” I probed.

He gave me slight head shake, agreeing with a great big smile. A lottery winning smile, was best thing, I’ve seen. “I see you at seven tomorrow night, I’ll pick you up at home.” He stated. I shook my head agreeing, to the terms of the agreement.

I reached for the door handle, opening the door, letting cold, brisk air hit me in the face awaken me once more.

Walking to the door, quickly unlocking it, feeling the warm air flowing out the open door. I turned and waved, giving a silent thank you to Edward. He waved back give me the same silent welcome.

I made my way completed in the door, making my way to my kitchen table. Placing my bags on the table, and shrugging out of my jacket, and hanging it on one the chairs. Flipping on the kitchen light, grabbing a wine glass out of the cabinet. Going to the fridge bringing out the box of red wine. Filling my glass, and quickly draining the glass, and filling it just as quickly. Placing the box back into the fridge and flipping the kitchen light off as I make my way up the stairs to the bathroom.

Flicking on the light, and sitting my glass. I reach for the candles sitting on my counter, then into the drawer to find the booklet of matches in it. Locating them finally, I lit the candles, placing them around bathroom, once they were where I wanted them. I turned the faucets on letting the claw foot tub fill. Testing the water temperature, it extremely hot, as you could steam raising from the water as it flowed into the tub. Reaching under the cabinet, I grabbed the vanilla lavender scented bubble bath, adding a few capfuls to running water. Allowing the vanilla lavender scent to fill the bath room.

I left carrying my glass, taking small sips, as I am going into my bedroom to lay out my clothes. Taking off my watch and shoes, padding across the cold hard wood flooring. Opening the top drawer of my dresser, grabbing pair of black bikini style underwear, then on to my closet to grab my black silk night gown and robe. I lay them out on my bed, and return back to bathtub. Flipping off the lights in the bathroom, it was left in a soft, warm glow.

Cutting off the water, before stripping my clothes. Picking up my wine glass once more, along with cell phone. I dip my toes into the steaming water, before jerking it back out, before dipping it back into the hot water. It tingled and burned at first, but my body got use to the temperature pretty quickly. Slowly sinking down in to the tub, and letting the bubble tickle against my breast. Picking up my glass and taking small sips as I check my emails, for tomorrows reaps.
Slowing going through my email, and deleting the spam and other trash items. I got my email from whom,I’m not sure, a higher power? I take a look at my list, it’s not a long one only a couple reaps. One stood out more so then the other, it was a young person, who had been murdered.My bath didn’t last as long as what I would had liked, but it did its job at relaxing me and my migraine.

Drying and lathering my lotion on, dressing quickly. I was into bed and setting my alarm for at least nine am, it’s 4:00 am now. That’ll at least give me five hours of sleep, I can at least take my morning jog, and at least a large Starbucks coffee. Sleep found me easily, it was the dreams that was the hardest...

You must login (register a new account) to review.