- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: I do not own Twilight expect for the character Lucas.

Lucas gets to learn more about the world he lives in. He later discovers something that surprises everyone.

Lucas’s POV

The party ended until  four a.m., Nessie passed out at midnight. She’s half human so she gets to sleep still, lucky her. Ah well, the good news about it is that I don’t have to worry about waking up early.

I am in my room now, it’s ten in the morning on Saturday and I feel wide awake. Wow, so this is what it’s like to never sleep. Weird. My room now is filled with dark blue wall papers, a new sound system, a small flat screen on the wall with a dvr, my closet has been expanded with more clothes thanks to Alice; I think she overdid it, I even got an ASUS touch screen laptop and the latest iPhone.

I went to the bathroom to wash up and brush my teeth. After that, I put on a black t-shirt and old jeans. I’m working with Jacob and the others today so there’s no point in wearing clean clothes. Nessie will be coming with me as well. Hope Alice doesn’t freak out when she sees me. She’d kill me. Nessie wasn’t kidding about Alice and fashion. I got out of my room and went downstairs to see Nessie in the living watching Emmett and Jasper playing video games. Jasper is beating Emmett left and right.

“Hey guys.”

“Hey Lucas.”

“Ready to go?” I asked Nessie.

“Let’s go.” She said as we both left the house and walk to the Reserve. “Jake said that he’s meeting us at the road before we enter the Reserve.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Just a precaution for us he said.” Nessie explained.

“Is it because of what happened four days ago? So I did something stupid to save you. I was human back then.” I said. Geez, everyone makes it sound like I’m all fragile or something.

“That’s not why.” Nessie said.

“So what is it then?” I asked.

“He’ll explain it to you when we see him.” Nessie said as we continued walking. “So, how’s it feel being a vampire?”

“Too be honest, I feel the same, just better.” I said as Nessie laughed. “I just never expect this to be real.”

“Oh believe me Lucas, you don’t live in a world you think you do.” Nessie said.

“I guess you’re right.” I said. “I am getting a hard time being use to this speed.”

“Mom did have a hard time with that on the first day. You’ll get use to it.” Nessie said. I still can’t get over the fact Bella and Edward is her actual parents. That makes Carlisle and Esme her grandparents and everyone else her aunts and uncles. And since I’m adopted as Carlisle and Esme’s son, Nessie is my niece but I’ll always still think of her as my sister.

“By the way, tell your dad to warn me before he does things unexcitedly.” I said. “He gave me a heart attack when he drove way over the speed limit.” That caused Nessie to laugh.

“Sorry but my dad doesn’t take slow and steady.” Nessie said. No but giving people heart attacks is.

“So what else is out there in this world?” I asked curiously. There’s just so much I want to know and so many questions to ask.

 “Well, you know that we’re different from other vampires because of our diet.” Nessie started explaining. “You already saw that we sparkle in the sunlight instead of burning from it. The only thing that kills vampires if someone rips them apart and burns them with fire so you have to be careful with that.”

I shuddered. Just talking about being burned alive brings back to that night.

“There’s another family in Alaska who drinks animal blood like us. So we consider them our cousins. They are the third largest coven of vampires. My family is the second largest.” She continued.

“Who’s largest of them all?” I asked.

I saw that she looked a little bit uncomfortable but she answered, “The Volturi.”

“The who?”

“The Volturi are the largest and most powerful coven of vampires. They enforce the laws of the vampire world.” She explained. “In my opinion, they are the most twisted and scariest people I’ve ever met.”

“You must have had a bad experience with them.” I said.

“I was only a few months old when they heard about me. They thought I was an immortal child, which is forbidden since they can’t control themselves. The punishment for that is for both the creator and child to be killed along with anyone who knows and protects them.” Okay maybe I don’t want to know so much about this. I’m starting to hate these Volturi people. “However, they saw that I was a hybrid so I’m not immortal but they still think I’m a threat to the world,” Talk about stubborn. “They were about to destroy me and my family until another hybrid, name Nahuel, convinced them about us hybrids not being a threat. After that, they left me and my family since then.”

“Well at least they left you alone in peace.” I said.

“Yeah but my family fears we haven’t seen the last of them yet.” Nessie said looking scared.

I pulled her close to me. “I promise I’ll never let them lay a hand on you.”

“Thanks Lucas.” She said with a smile as I let go.

“So when you said powerful, do you mean that they have powers besides their vampire abilities?” I asked.

“Yeah some of the vampires in the Volturi have a specific gift and I’ll tell you they are not pretty.” Nessie said.

“Does anyone in your family have any special powers?” I asked with interest.

“Why yes; Aunt Alice can see the future but they are subjective since she can only see the future once a decision affecting it has been made. Uncle Jasper can control people’s emotion. For example if you’re stressed out he can calm you down. He can also tell how people feel. My daddy, he can read minds.”

“Okay that’s creepy, having him looking into my mind.” I shuddered again.

“Actually, he can’t read yours for some reason. The same thing when he does it with my mom, you see she’s a shield. She uses her mental shield to block any and all kinds of psychic powers that act on invading the mind. Daddy can read her mind if she lowers her shield.” Nessie explained.

“Whoa. So your dad can’t read my mind?” Well that’s a relief. I thought.

“Yeah he, Alice and Jasper were unable to use their powers on you either, even when you were human, which really got all of us curious.” Nessie said.

“Really? Well beats me.” I shrugged. I guess I’m an immune kind of vampire. “So what about you?”

Nessie stopped and so did I as she said, “Um, I’m not sure mine works on you because I rather show it then tell.”

“Well, try it then.” I encouraged her. Nessie took a deep breath and place her hand on my face. Next minute, I saw images of when I first met Nessie; how I told her I’ve considered her my little sister, cliff diving at La Push, celebrating of me being part of the family and everything else.

“Whoa what was that?” I asked.

“You saw it?” Nessie asked looking very shocked when she let go of my face.

“Yeah. Was I not supposed to see that?” I asked.

“No, no, it’s just I didn’t think you could.” Nessie said.

“So what was that you were showing me?” I asked.

“I showed you my memories.” She explained.

“You’re memories?” I asked interestingly.

“Yeah, like my daddy can read minds and how Aunt Alice sees the future. I show people what I’m thinking and what I see. I can even show it to my mom even with her shield on.” She said.

“Wow, that’s amazing Nessie.” She smiled as resumed our walk to the Reserve.

“So does Jacob know about you guys being vampires?” I asked. I know that he’s different from the Cullens with his skin and all.

“Yeah he does.” She replied.

“And he’s okay with it?” I asked.

“Well, I wouldn’t say okay at first, more like he hated my family and all vampires.” Nessie said.

“How come?”

“Well you see, Jacob and his tribe are werewolves.” Nessie said.

“Werewolves, as in the big dogs?!” I asked with a panicked look on my face.

“Yes. You see vampires are the werewolves’ natural enemies and they protect the humans from them.” Nessie explained. Oh man, another Romeo and Juliet? You know how that ended right? Not good. “Remember when the bear attacked you and that big russet wolf saved you? That was Jake.”

“WHAT! That was Jacob?! But it wasn’t even a full moon!” I said as I thought back on that first day I met him and Nessie on just a regular day.

“He and the tribe aren’t werewolf werewolves, they are shape-shifters.” Nessie said with a little laugh.

Okay first vampires and now werewolves? What’s next fairies and dragons?

I shook it off. “Okay I get the whole wolf thing now. So what stopped this feud?”

“It all ended when Jake imprinted on me.” Nessie said.

“Am I supposed to know what that is?” I asked.

“I think I will explain that.”

I jumped and realized we were at the road between both our homes and Jacob is standing on his side waiting for us.

“Jake!” Nessie cried as she ran into Jacob’s arm and kissed him.

I was about to say hi to him when I had my hand covering my mouth and nose. I just smelt the most revolting stench in the history of stench. The smell was burning my nostrils feeling like they are melting inside. I soon realize that the smell was coming from Jacob. He and Nessie noticed my expression and seem to be enjoying it.

“Um Jacob, no offense but when was the last time you took a bath?” I asked.

“Um, about this morning.” Jacob smirked.

“Ever heard of shampoo?”

Nessie giggled. “It’s okay Lucas, we know Jake stinks.”

“Hey that hurt, Ness.” Jacob said jokingly.

“How do you guys deal with it?” I asked Nessie.

“Well my sense of smell isn’t as strong as my family and they just deal with it.” Nessie explained.

“Moving that aside about my smell, you want to know about imprinting right?” Jacob asked me.

I nodded as we continued walking. Oh yeah, I completely forgot about it.

“Imprinting is how we wolves find our other halves.” Jacob started explaining. “Like when you see her, everything changes. It’s not really love at first sight from what you believed. You realize that it’s not gravity that’s holding you to the planet, it’s her. Nothing else matters. You would do anything, be anything for her; a brother, a friend, protector.”

Jacob took a deep breath until he continued. “I imprinted on Nessie the day she was born.”

“YOU WHAT?!” This guy imprinted on a baby?

“Dude relax, it’s not like that.” Jacob said holding his hands in surrender. “When someone imprints on a child, she’s isn’t ready to love in the first place. Remember when I said that you would do anything, be anything for her? That’s what happened between me and Nessie; I was her brother until she needed a friend. As she got older, I’ve became madly in love with her but I waited until she was old enough to confess her feelings for me.”

Nessie kissed Jacob on the cheek. “And I’ll always love you forever.”

Jacob smiled at her. I feel all warm and fuzzy hearing this story. I think its sweet how one finds love.

“So what does imprinting have anything to do with the feud between your families?” I asked.

“You see whoever a wolf imprints on, cannot be harmed. It’s our most absolute law. Otherwise, it will lead conflict within the tribe. That has what ended our feud and put peace between us.” Jacob said.

Wow. I guess that’s what love does to everyone. They are the solution to everything.

We were now half way to the Reserve where the shop will be at until Jacob stopped and Nessie and I stopped as well.

“Before we continued, there’s one more thing I have to tell you about.” Jacob said to me.

“And that is…?”

“A long time ago, my great-grandfather Ephraim Black met the Cullens on their turf. He knew that they were different kinds of vampires so they made a treaty.” Jacob explained. “See the treaty states that we will not attack them or reveal their secrets as long as they don’t bite humans or come to our lands.”

“Wait a minute, Nessie and I are standing on your turf and Carlisle bit me.” I started to panic. “Does that mean we broke the treaty?”

“No you see the Alpha of the pack can give permission to cross on our land or to bite a human.” Jacob explained. “I gave Carlisle permission to bite you so you wouldn’t die and I’m now giving you the okay to come our land.”

“You’re the Alpha?” Well he does look like he’s built to be one. I mean have you not noticed how big this guy is along with the muscles?

“Yep, in my pack and so is Sam in his." Jacob said.

“Okay I feel a bit better then. Next time can you please explain things to me before we do anything or go anywhere?” I asked.

“Can’t promise you that.” Jacob laughed as we made it to the shop where Quil and Embry were already working there.

Jacob’s POV

We began working as we entered. Nessie helped out at the front desk as me and the guys started working on the Toyota with the new parts that came in. Around noon, we were almost done with the car when we decided to take a lunch break outside. We’ve been chatting for a half hour when we were joined by Sam, Paul, Seth and Collin.

“Hi guys.”

“Hey. We heard Lucas is here so we decided to see how he’s doing.” Sam explained.

“Looks like you’re okay now.” Seth said.

“Yeah thanks to Nessie and her family.” Lucas said.

“You may be a vampire, but we wolves are much stronger and faster than you.” Paul teased to him.

“We’ll see about that.” Lucas smirked. Everyone laughed except for Collin who was glaring at Lucas. I don’t like where this is going.

“You’re okay man?” Lucas asked him.

“Don’t give me that!” Collin said angrily.

“Pardon?”

“You’re made just like the rest of those leeches! So don’t pretend to be all nice to us!” Collin spat. I got annoyed at that insult on Nessie’s family.

“I’m not pretending and I’d be careful with the whole leech thing.” Lucas said calmly. “Also, I can tell you’re angry so I would calm down if I were you.”

“Don’t tell me how to calm down!” Collin yelled. “It’s bad enough that Jake is dating that monster and now he’s being best buds with you?”

I was about to smash Collin face for insulting Nessie but just then Lucas got up so fast and grabbed Collin by the shirt. I saw the fury in his eyes, a whole side of Lucas I’ve never seen before. Wow he really does care about her.

“Say that again about Nessie and I swear you will regret it.” Lucas growled.

“Get your hand off me!” Collin demanded. Lucas threw him so hard, just not far.

“Collin, stop!” Sam yelled. But too late Collin phased and started to charge right at Lucas. Embry, Quil, Seth and Paul try to restrain him but he threw them off and jumped on Lucas. Edward and the others weren’t kidding about Lucas’s fighting skills, they were good. However, I don’t even think he’s a match against Collin uncontrollable anger when he phases. It got worse when Collin has Lucas thrown in the air. Lucas ended up on the ground. I guess he still needs to work on his vampire reflexes. I saw Collin coming at him ready to attack and Lucas is struggling to get up. Collin was in the air landing the big blow.

“NO!” Nessie cried. I sprinted to stop Collin when I stopped. When Lucas threw his arms to protect himself like he did before, Collin was bounced off of him. That’s when I saw it, the strange substance that surrounded his body; it was cloud like of light blue color, the same ones when I first met Lucas. Those substances were around his arms when he held them up and Collin was thrown off from being in contact with it. When Collin got up from the ground, Quil and Embry, who both phase, stopped him from attacking.

“Jacob, take Lucas. We’ll take care of this.” Sam said to me.

I nodded as me and Nessie ran up to Lucas.

“Lucas, are you okay?” Nessie asked.

“I think so. What just happened?” Lucas asked as we helped him up.

“That’s what we like to know.” I said as we started heading to the Cullen’s house.

Chapter End Notes:

So what was that substance Lucas did? Is this some sort of power?
Please review. :)

You must login (register a new account) to review.