- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

JJ sat in a Hilton suit with Henry. Valentine's Day was supposed to be you and that special someone. Except, Will had been called away on an important case and Henry was being especially clingy. With Henry crying every time she disappeared from sight and her man gone, JJ had a one night reservation in an elegant suite and no one to spend it with.

She had been texting Garcia, but unfortunately the peppy technical analyst had a date with the hunky Derek Morgan.

JJ looked at the expensive bottle of wine as it chilled in an ice bucket. Perhaps one glass wouldn't hurt. She was about to pop the bottle open when there was a knock at the door. She looked at Henry momentarily as he played innocently with a plastic toy car.

JJ walked over to the door and pulled it open. She stared at the two people before her in confusion.

Hotch held a bag of toys and art supplies in one hand and a bottle of juice in the other, while little Jack held a large pizza box.

"Hotch, what are you doing here?" JJ asked.

"Garcia called," Hotch answered by way of explanation. "She said that since we're both alone on Valentine's Day that we had to keep each other company."

JJ smiled. Garcia would be the one to do that. "What's with the art supplies?" she asked.

"We have to make hear cards," Jack answered happily. He grinned and lifted up the pizza box. "We brought pepperoni pizza."

JJ crouched down to meet the little boy's eyes. "I love pepperoni," she laughed tweaking the four year olds nose. "Come on in."

She moved out of the way to let the two newcomers in. She looked at Hotch. "Let me guess, you used your badge to find out what room I was in."

"I admit to nothing," Hotch smiled.

It wasn't long until the two friends and their sons were seated around a table eating pizza and making 'heart cards'. As JJ worked with Henry to make a card for Will, Hotch and she talked casually about their families and the latest FBI soap opera drama.

JJ delicately pulled a sticky jewel off of Henry's cheek as he slapped at a piece of blue construction paper in the shape of a triangle. She glanced up at Hotch. "Thank you for coming."

"No one should be alone on Valentine's Day," he said. JJ suspected that he was thinking about Hayley.

JJ realized that this wasn't the same Aaron Hotchner who ran a team of profilers. This was the single dad who left death and mayhem at the doors of the FBI and came home to be a normal person. This Aaron Hotchner was different.

A plan formed in her head and she silently began to plot.

0o0o0o0

Hotch walked into the BAU the next day feeling refreshed and happy. He had spent a night thinking only of fun, Jack, and heart cards. That was the perfect Valentine's Day.

He entered his office to find a construction paper heart propped up on his desk. It was decorated with various shades of pink and red and opened up to a printout picture of Hotch and Jack playing together. Next to the picture was an unsigned message.

To the real Aaron Hotchner. You're a true gentleman and an even greater friend. Thank you.

 

You must login (register a new account) to review.