- Text Size +

 

Copyright:

No copyright infringement is Meyer owns all Twilight characters and content. The plot although is mine.

Present Day:

BPOV:

He had been here before always just inside the entrance sitting on the steps. Today he had actually dared to venture forth and sit at a table. But not just any table.....my table. I am just finidhing up my research for my thesis. As usual, I have books spread all over the table. The kind of table that seats six people-three on each side. Every inch of the table was covered in papers, books, or my various markers.

I quietly questioned what I had done to deserve this problem. Standing up I went to the information desk. Motioning over my shoulder I called over the head librarian, "Mary, do you see that man at my table over there?" Mary nodded, "Yes, I do Bella. Is there a problem? Is he bothering you?"

"No, he isn't. I was just curious if you had ever seen him in here before today is all. Thank you," I told her as I walked away.

I had seen him before yes, but I had never smelled him before. So I was sitting in the library when I smelled him. He was rank and ripe-almost like a dumpster on a summer day. He looked like he has just come from the gym and I guess he could have. He would have been nice looking attractive even, if he was just clean. His hair was dirty, crusty, and dare I say it I think I saw fleas jumping off him. His hands and clothes were somewhat clean; like he has just slept outside in them for five days.

In his hands he had a book that looked really old. He was holding it so reverently. So very carefully. Like it was the most precious thing he ever had. I wondered if it was due to its age or if it was the library's. He was acting as though it was the most beautiful and precious thing he had. And then pictures of his head on golem's body ran through my head-my precious..my precious; as he stared at the book in his hands. I looked around I wondered how he even go this far not to be rude, but it was a college library. I sat there thinking I would lose my lunch as the smell was becoming too much. I thought about gathering my books and moving elsewhere to a better smelling area. But then I thought to myself, I am not a major bitch as my roommate, Jenny was. So I just stayed where I was and tried to breathe through my mouth.

After a few minutes he turned and whispered, "Thank you." He startled me when he said this. I screamed-causing everyone to turn around and look at me. Realizing this I put my head down blushing profusely. After a few moments he quietly left leaving me to wonder why he thanked me. I still had most of my belongings together from a few minutes ago so I just crammed them all into my backpack. Having everything and seeing him quickly leave the area. I wanted to question why he thanked me.

In my rush to catch up to him, I forgot to unplug my laptop. It was still plugged into the outlet. As I rushed away from the table it pulled me back and I landed on the floor. Falling on my butt and my pride, I blushed profusely. Everyone was looking at me again.

Jenny and the man came up to help me. As I started to help me gather my books, I noticed that the book he left at the table was there. Questioning how it got there, I picked it up to hand back to him. As he reached for it our hands touched each other. I quietly gasped and his head bobbed up. His hand was so cool. Way cooler than a man's was supposed to be. He looked at me and it seemed he was waiting for me to do something. What I am not sure...scream or maybe run away? I wondered if he had circulation problems.

"Thank you." I whispered. He then stood as he took the book. "Well, that was incredibly rude. Pussy!" Jenny whisper yelled. Feeling slightly embarrassed for causing yet another scene in the library. I told Jenny, "Let's get out of here and get something to eat. I am starving."

Standing I realized I had twisted my ankle when I fell. I started to hobble towards the door with my things in tow.

"Bella, why are you walking like that," Jenny asked. "I think I sprained my ankle," I told her. "Could you take me to the doctor's office?"

"Sure Bella, you wait here and I will go get my car," Jenny stated. Under her breath I thought I heard her say, "I am just hungry. Now this." I knew not to get mad at Jenny she was a bear when she was hungry.

Jenny came in and said "Come on, Bella. Let's get you to the car." Feeling as though I might be putting Jenny out, I told her, "You don't have to take me Jenny, I can take the bus. You must be starving. Go get something to eat and I will meet you there."

"Nonsense," Jenny said, "Let's get you checked out, then we can go get tacos by the football field and ogle the players!" Jenny's sometimes boyfriend played for the college. George was a nice guy, but he was a total pushover when it came to her. He would do whatever she wanted and not put up a fuss. This is something I knew Jenny wasn't really looking for in a man

"Jenny, have you seen that guy before?" I asked looking at her. She nodded. "Yes, Bells I have as a matter of fact. I am starting to get worried. He always seems to be around when you are."

"WHAT!" I said, clearly not knowing what she was talking about. "I have noticed him around campus for a while now, but he only seems to show up when you are around," Jenny explained. Jenny continued on, "I have asked around campus. He seems to have shown up when you or I did. And as how he was with you today, I am assuming he had started showing when you got here." I looked at her truly creeped out.

"I took a picture of him," she told me. "I was really slick! He didn't even know that I took the picture. My phone was on silent as I walked by him." Jenny the private eye crossed my mind. I laughed and covered it with a cough.

"Well, I smelled him and he was rank. Like three day old milk in a summer day warmed up dumpster rank!" I responded. "His clothes were rumpled and his hands were clean. In his hands, though, he held this book," I told her. "The book you handed back to him," she questioned looking at me. I nodded at her. "Yes and I have no idea how it got to be in my bag with my things," I told her. "His hands were so cold too-much cooler than yours or mine. Makes me wonder if he has poor circulation," I mused.

"Why did you get up so fast from the table anyways," Jenny asked. "Well, that's the thing when he left he whispered 'Thank you' and I wanted to ask him why," I stated. "Maybe he was thanking you for not getting up and running him off," Jenny suggested.

As we entered the parking lot of the doctor's office, Jenny let me out by the front door. I hobbled to the window and signed in. A few minutes later Jenny joined me and I was called to the back.

"Bella Swan," was called out by a short dark haired woman. Her name tag said 'Nurse Ally.' I think that she was on crack or a recently had a lot of sugar. I settled on sugar because she had what seemed to be a lollipop sticking out of her mouth. She was short with black hair that seemed to have been electrocuted before being put on her head. It stood up at all odd angles and was gelled in place I think. Jenny and I looked at each other and snickered. Nurse Ally took us to the exam room.

As I was sitting there waiting to be seen my mind wandered to the man in the library. I wondered why he thanked me. My reverie was broken by the doctor entering the room. I started to laugh as he walked in. The doctor and Jenny looked at me like I had lost my mind.

"Hello. My name is Dr. Carlisle Cullen. You must be Bella it is nice to meet you," he stated as he put forth his hand for me to shake it.

 

You must login (register a new account) to review.